Monday, January 12, 2009

We're Now Dems in D.C.!!!!



Sunday, Jan. 9, 2009
Washington, D.C.

So. . .I'm back in D.C. (I LOVE this city!) -- once again, under the auspices of The Washington Center. The Center has brought more than 700 college students here to gain academic credit for an intensive, 7-day academic seminar preparing us for one of the most historic presidential inaugurations in American history. I, personally, am responsible for seeing that 11 Minnesota students -- 3 from my home institution of Bemidji State University and 8 from the University of St. Thomas -- learn something and have a memorable experience. I think we're on track.

As usual, it's the people who impress me the most, although the architecture, museums, restaurants and cultural life are all big draws. Although we heard some high-profile speakers yesterday, including reporter Dana Bash of CNN; Steve Bell, former host of "Good Morning America" and professor emeritus of Ball State University; and Professor Michael Genovese, author of the book we're all reading ("Memo to a New President"), the person I'll remember most is our bus driver who guided us expertly around DC for the benefit of the newcomers. Richard, a tall, gangly, bald African-American man who joked that we could remember our bus by the driver with the "big afro," was a genius. He not only drove us around effortlessly (or so it seemed) for 3 hours in DC traffic, but held a microphone in one hand and gave us a running commentary on EVERYTHING. I've had this tour about 20 times, but never was it so intelligent, in-depth and quirky. This is the first time I've ever had a guide stop by a section of Arlington Cemetery and show us the unmarked graves of slaves. I never knew they existed. He had stories that never ended. Hurray Richard!

In talking with one of my students, I learned that this is the first time in his life he's using public transportation. Others said they had very little, if any, experience with it themselves. It's hard for me to imagine, since I rode streetcars until I was about 6 (that really dates me!), and started riding busses on my own at about age 10. It's a different world. Hopefully, they will see more public transport in their future, rather than less!

Monday, Jan. 11, 2009

One of today's highlights was an hour-long talk by Marc Pachter, the Director Emeritus of the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery and the National Museum of American History. He gave a slide show, with ample commentary, on presidential portraits. He was so good that I was inspired to ask my students if they wanted to spend the afternoon in the Portrait Gallery. I've been there once, and remembered it as worth seeing just for the architecture. Being an adventurous group, they eagerly agreed to my plan, and we had a wonderful time. I went straight for the presidential portrait gallery, and was not disappointed. It's curious to learn (from the portrait descriptions) about how so many presidents were really sort of failed, when we think of most of them as great. Pachter didn't hesitate to give his opinion about the incoming president. He believes in the theory that what you want in a president is a first-class intellect AND a first-class temperament, but if you must choose, the temperament is more important. He suggested that Obama will be only the second president to possess both, the first being Lincoln. I hope he's right. I also loved his description of John McCain's personality -- a "Western straightforwardness."

But before we inbibed culture, we had to imbibe some chili at Ben's Chili Bowl on U Street. It may mean nothing to you, dear reader, but this is where our president-to-be dined a few days ago. The place was packed, and Reuters even had a cameraman and reporter there (were they just late or what?) who filmed us, since we were the oddest people in the place. It had the feel of Micky's Diner in St. Paul or Al's Breakfast in Minneapolis. Without knowing it, I ordered the same thing Barack had -- a "half smoked chili dog." Don't ask. Let's just say it was full of many things not good for overweight Americans. I can say that if Barack can eat these and say skinny, he must smoke a lot or work out a lot.

Tomorrow we visit McClatchy News Service and talk to the man who headed up one of the few investigations of why Pres. Bush took us to war -- BEFORE it became the popular thing to do. Stay tuned.

No comments: